I am so happy that my middle grade verse novel, After the River the Sun (2013 Atheneum) is featured in A Year of Reading blog for the final Poetry Friday of the year. So I offer the excerpt below from the book.
Inspired by his love of the Arthurian Legend and a video game called The Green Knight, Eckhart is climbing Heaven's Gate Mountain in Eastern Washington on a quest for home.
Despite his sunglasses,
his baseball cap,
and his long-sleeved T-shirt,
Eckhart began to feel
as though he were made of sunlight--
carried up the mountain by sunlight--
forged by sunlight,
as a knight's sword
is forged
by fire.
After the River the Sun (page 297)
Dia Calhoun
"forged/by fire" What a nice foreshadowing! I missed it on the first read!
ReplyDeleteLOVED this book!
Will the girl at the Quik Mart and Frodo the turtle make an appearance in a future Pateros, Washington verse novel?
Gorgeous! Can't wait to read this book. :)
ReplyDeleteDiane, I am going to need to read your books.! Lovely images.
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous excerpt!
ReplyDelete