Tuesday, May 28, 2013

7:30 BELLS: Embrace the Glory of Change



Sometimes, looking up is all it takes to see glory. When I saw these feathered clouds rushing over Commencement Bay, I wondered where they were going and what they would become. 

Change is often hard for me to accept—this past week my wonderful editor Ariel Colletti left publishing to embark on a new journey. I will miss her insights and her kind caring for my work and me. Most often change comes to us this way; it’s not our choice and not under our control. 

If only I could learn that changes in life can be as beautiful as an ever-shifting, feathered sky. Maybe I will. If I keep looking up.

LORE OF THE BELL:
Embrace the glory of change and the bells will ring.

3 comments:

  1. On Twitter you said "Change can be glorious--like a cloud-feathered sky. Then why is it so hard to embrace?"

    Because change creates uncertainty, and uncertainty is the one thing that makes human beings more uncomfortable than anything else. It's the not knowing of exactly what's coming that's hardest to take.

    Your editor is leaving. Now you are uncertain what this means for your own future endeavors. Will a new editor like your work as much? Will a new editor click with you as well as before?

    Uncertainty abounds, and to the extent that you don't have any direct ability to affect the answers to those questions (your publisher probably won't let you hand-pick your next editor--but if they do, pick me! pick me!), the uncertainty is uncomfortable. Often painfully so.

    This is always the case. I have a friend who was having some marital troubles a while back, which pushed her down into depression and panic attacks because of the attendant uncertainty: was her husband going to leave her? What would that mean for her? Ultimately, the two of them decided, together, that the best thing was in fact to amicably separate. Her worst fear, then, came to pass. Her husband did, in fact, leave her.

    But as soon as that decision was made--as soon as the uncertainty was removed--her own state of being radically improved. She's not depressed. Her panic attacks are fading away. It's not the perceived-negative outcome itself that was the problem. It was the simple _not knowing_ what was going to happen that was the problem.

    The deeper question, I suppose, is why it is ever thus with we poor, frail, human beings. Why are we so intolerant of uncertainty? To that, I have no answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason--interesting, maybe we are intolerant of uncertainty because we are trained to seek security. I try to think of change as new adventure, new potential, new possibilities. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, Dia. Here's to change that helps us fly higher!

    ReplyDelete