Friday, May 24, 2013

HAMMOCK QUEEN: Poetry Friday

Below is one of the poems that Eva writes in EVA OF THE FARM



HAMMOCK QUEEN

In the hammock
I am a queen
in a swinging throne of string
borne by two tall knights--
the maple trees.

I toss dried corn
to my grateful subjects--
gray squirrels who peer
and chatter at me,
paying homage.

On my right stands
the boundary of my kingdom--
the tall deer fence.
Beyond it the wild world
of the canyon threatens--
beckons--
riddled with dragons,
promises of shining treasure,
and perilous quests.

But here, 
on my side of the fence, is the Farm--
with rows of apple trees
lined up like soldiers.

Here, in a throne of string,
beside the wild world,
I sway,
stricken to the heart with earth and sky,
knowing,
I belong to this, my apple kingdom.

Eva of the Farm

3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous poem! Looking forward to reading Eva of the Farm. Thanks so much for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. MARY LEE! I'm so sorry--I accidentally hit the delete comment key instead of the publish comment key on my tiny i-phone. But I still had your lovely comment in my e-mail box, so I'm re-posting it here. Thanks for you kind words!

    MARY LEE's comment: "Just added Eva of the Farm to my Amazon cart. I'm building a collection of verse novels for my 5th grade classroom. This one sounds like a perfect fit!

    ("my apple kingdom" has a hint of Fern Hill in it! Nice!!)"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous poem - I want a hammock so I can be queen "in a throne of string"! I will look for Eva of the Farm - thanks for introducing it to us. =)

    ReplyDelete